Navigating Expo 2020 Dubai: Tips for Startups & Businesses
Half a year ago, Expo 2020 Dubai, the largest exhibition of technology and innovation lasting six months, concluded. Participating in Expo 2020 Dubai can be a turning point for a startup, as anyone can reach your booth, from investors and partners to clients, influencers, or even prime ministers. With its attendance reaching 25 million visitors in six months, Expo 2020 Dubai offers unparalleled opportunities.
Dmitry Kornilov, the co-founder and CEO at FFFACE.ME, talks about the business results you can expect while taking part in Expo 2020 Dubai, how to apply, plan the whole process, and get the most value from the event.
Our studio specializes in developing Augmented Reality Filters, Digital Fashion, Virtual Influencers, and Metaverse Real Estate. We got to Expo 2020 Dubai through our partner, who sent us an application form and advised us to give it a go with our latest digital clothing drop.
The World Expo takes place every five years and is designed to showcase the achievements of each participating country. Each country has its own pavilion, which presents the best startups and companies from the local market, corresponding to the theme of a particular Expo. For example, the theme of the Expo was “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future.”
Preparation for Expo 2020 Dubai took about a year. Our booth showed our products: Instagram filters, Augmented Reality clothing collections, and virtual influencer Astra Starr. The next Expo will be held in Japan (Osaka) from April 13 to October 13, 2025, and its key theme will be “Designing Future Society for Our Lives.”
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Applying for Expo 2020 Dubai required us to find our country’s representative office and send our request to participate. The application process boiled down to filling out a questionnaire, in which we needed to describe our technologies in the form of pitch, visualization, and proof of concept. After applying, we awaited a response, and once we got a positive one, it was time to start preparing immediately.
CREATING A STAND
It is essential to decide in advance what will be in your zone when planning your booth for Expo 2020 Dubai. Your booth can be built by a local contractor or a contractor from the country you represent. Keep in mind that it may be more expensive or impossible to buy some things on the spot at Expo 2020 Dubai.
PRELIMINARY ZONE PREPARATION
When preparing for Expo 2020 Dubai, it’s crucial to recreate your zone in your country and test the user flow in advance. Make sure to run a user test at home and get everything ready before your departure.
An important point for Expo 2020 Dubai is PR preparation. Press releases related to a company’s participation in the Expo are well received by local media that write about those topics.
ABOUT THE TRIP ITSELF & NETWORKING
Make sure that all participants are registered by the organizer for Expo 2020 Dubai. Also, consider ensuring that everybody from your team has the appropriate visas and complies with all the requirements of the border crossing procedure.
HOW TO BENEFIT FROM EXPO
Your stand at Expo 2020 Dubai allows you to get international contacts and status. We gained new clients and investment and partnership proposals during the Expo period. It’s essential to think over the business flow and how people will contact you to ensure success at the world expo.
- Expo 2020 Dubai is a significant and important exhibition, and you can participate even if you are not a government business. It is necessary to proactively monitor the possibility of applying and submit it in advance, following all standards.
- Carefully plan the production and logistics of materials for your booth in advance for Expo. Keep in mind that it may be more expensive or impossible to buy some things on the spot.
- Think over and test the user flow at Expo 2020 Dubai. Remember that the exhibition’s audience is your client, and it is essential for you to not only demonstrate or sell a product but also entertain guests. Make your zone interactive and ideally create conditions for visitors to want to create content with it and tag you on social networks.
- Think over your business flow for Expoi. Make it clear how business representatives and potential partners can contact you.
- Think over the team’s action plan for Expo 2020 Dubai. Designate the areas of responsibility of each team member and make sure that you get all the possible benefits – communicate at the stand, participate in networking events, create and publish photos and video reports, and explore the stands of other participants.